Monday, October 27, 2008

Activity 1

Nineteen Minutes is the book I'm currently reading in my leisure time. The author, Jodi Picoult, writes a fictional story about a school shooting. She divides tales of the experience into several different speakers, including students, both male and female; the shooter himself; parents; lawyers; a detective; and a judge. Although the story is told out of sequence, making it more of a mystery, and between different people, it still contains a legit element of readability. Each character has a very clear mindset, use of language, and behavior pattern. It's evident that Picoult did a lot of research on people in their specific line of work for her characters. The detective explains all of the procedures he has to go through in solving this case, as well as the theories he has learned in psychology classes in dealing with victims. The judge is accurate with laws, cases and procedures in her courtroom. Even the students exemplify characteristics of people suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder. Picoult established detailed and specific ethos for her characters, which make the book so realistic.

Activity 2

Since Picoult is a well known author, she does know her readers well and emphasizes it by using grammar that is simple, yet advanced and up to her readers’ standards. The fact that the mystery is resolved by the end of the book and readers aren’t left in the dark about any situation that was presented in the novel shows the author’s knowledge of her audience. Also, there are instances in the story where Picoult chooses to elaborate on intimate events of the characters to reveal personal information, causing them to be more vulnerable to sympathetic readers, displaying her use of close rhetorical distance.

Activity 6

A letter from Stephen Colbert to his viewers:

Dear My Fellow Americans,

While I was lounging next to my pool this weekend, sipping on a cool, crisp beer, reflecting on the many things I’ve had named after me this year…a jet, an insect, and a whale just to name a few…I realized there is something major in America that is currently nameless, but could be benefited by my name: a bear!

Nation, as you know from tuning into my show religiously, which I’m confident that you do, I have consistently theorized that bears are the number one threat to this country. Vicious + Dangerous + Cute = Empty picnic baskets!

I am asking YOU, Nation, for one loyal citizen to name a bear after me. I think having a bear in this country with a strong name like Stephen will help bridge the gap between innocent picnic-goers and bears. I can assure you that my bear would spread the word to all the other bears that humans are harmless, yet hungry and to stop messing with us. He would roam the earth with the mission of “bearing” (HAHA) this news to all bear families and finally ending this ongoing war we’ve faced for so many years.

Consider it.

Your Fearless Citizen,

Stephen Colbert

No comments: